international calling stopped working

international calling stopped working

Postby gsb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:37 pm

I've been calling German cell phone numbers successfully for years using my Tracfone prepaid with the addition of the Global Calling card. I have an Android phone, both the Tracfone My Account app and the International Dialer app are installed and updated. All worked a few weeks ago. Yesterday, March 23, 2019, I tried to place a call to the same German cell phone number, and got the following message: We're sorry. Your call cannot be processed. Please be sure to dial this number from your Tracfone and verify that International long distance service is already active in your Tracfone."

I tried to call again not using the app but dialing using the access number provided on the Tracfone website (305) 938-5673. In this case the call to the German cell phone number also did not go through but the message was different:
"We're sorry, the destination or phone you are calling are not included in this service."

I checked that I still have global calling credits, and my phone is still in service of course.

I called Tracfone customer service, they transferred me to a department handling international calling, they checked that everything should be working, had me turn the phone off and on, had me try calling the German cell phone number both with and with out the international dialing app. Still didn't work. They said they'd have to give me a ticket for service, to wait 24 hours before checking. I waited 24 hours and looked online, there are no ticket numbers for my phone.

How can I fix this problem? What is the next step? Thanks.
gsb

Re: international calling stopped working

Postby TracFone - Larry » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 am

Hi gsb. I'm TracFone Larry. We apologize for the trouble this has caused you. Allow us to help you with your concern. For further assistance, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
TracFone - Larry

Postby tomseys » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:53 pm

You should contact tier three support.. the online chat can refer you. I don't use the International dialer app myself since I had trouble with it when trying to set up numbers a while back. Maybe I'll check that out again.

I usually just set the ILD number as a speed dial and enter long distance numbers manually. I have a few set as frequent numbers set up by a rep. A friend also uses the $10 international card for long distance calls to cell phones not covered by Tracfone's free long distance service.

There is another Tracfone ILD number: 800 706-3839
My Phones: Tracfone iPhone 6S, Tracfone iPhone SE and Tracfone Samsung J3 Luna Pro
tomseys

Postby gsb » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:38 pm

To continue the story, I did as Larry suggested and did the live chat. The Tracfone person who helped me went through steps to be sure my service is set up properly with this phone and that I do have Global calling credits. She had me check other international numbers. I was able to test call to some numbers, not using the ILD app but with the access number.

I still could not call the number I want to call in Germany. To repeat, this is a number that I have been calling successfully for years using my Tracfone with Global card, and successfully called on March 3, but could no longer call on March 23.

The Tracfone person checked and told me the number is "invalid". She said there was nothing different with Tracfone service, so there must be something changed about that German number or that number's service provider. I thought perhaps that means this number no longer works. But today I was able to call that number using a different phone and different prepaid service provider.

So, as it stands, this particular German (Deutsche Telekom) phone number that I could always call in the past with Tracfone (using Global card), and called as recently as March 3, I can no longer call, Tracfone says the number is "invalid".

I CAN call this same number using Verizon Prepaid.

So what does "invalid" mean in the Tracfone system?
why is this German number now suddenly invalid for Tracfone but works fine using Verizon?
gsb

Postby gsb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

I talked to Tracfone again, this time through the live chat. They did more checking to be sure my account and phone should work for calling Germany, found I had no ticket number, and had me try to call some other international number. The one I tried did seem to go through (to London).
The German phone number I want to call (and have been calling until recently) has a "city" code of 170, which from looking around on the internet seems not to be real city code but a cell phone company code, listed as T Mobile (that's now Deutsche Telekom afaik). The Tracfone person had me recheck calling that number both with an access number and with the International Dialling app. When it didn't work, she did more checking then said the number I'm trying to call is invalid. She says there's nothing wrong with my service, since I can apparently call other international destinations.

I don't know what "invalid " means, so I am worried the phone number is no longer in service. Next day I decide I will try calling that number some other way. So I put a call using a Verizon phone ($1.79 per minute!!!!) and it works fine. I get through with no problem, and verify that this German phone number is in service and working just fine.

I still can't call that number using my Tracfone and my Global credits, I don't think I have gotten any explanation of why that changed.
gsb

Postby gsb » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:27 pm

I apologize for my last two posts being repetitive, they say about the same thing so I would delete one but can't figure out how to do that.
Anyway, I'm back visiting here today to report GOOD NEWS, I can once again call the German number with no problems. Even the International Long Distance App worked fine.

So, what went wrong, I never found out, but the bottom line is, someone fixed it and I'm very grateful.

Thank you Tracfone people, whoever worked on this problem, Thank you!
gsb

Return to Tips for calling over 100 international destinations. Get tips for using TracFone’s International Neighbors program.