Questions re replacing current phone with new unlocked phone

Questions re replacing current phone with new unlocked phone

Postby tashedelek » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:04 pm

I've recently purchased a Motorola Moto G Stylus from Amazon. The phone is unlocked and can accept both GSM and CDMA, and is running the latest version of Android 10.

I've had a Tracfone account since about 2007 and I would like to replace my current Tracfone, a Samsung J7 Sky Pro, with the Moto G Stylus. I need to keep my current phone number, minutes, data, etc. -- just replace the old phone with the new.

So I have some questions:

1) The phone is compatible with Tracfone, so I assume I only need to buy a new CDMA/Verizon sim chip and nothing more (ie, no plan, etc, since I already have a plan.)
2) When I install the new sim chip, and if I have problems, will my phone number continue working on my current Tracfone until the new sim chip problems are straightened out? (I can't be without a phone, so this is important).
3) How long does it take to do the setup, including the number transfer?

More general questions, but important:

4) Since the Moto G Stylus is unlocked and was purchased independently of Tracfone, will I still be able to do full OS upgrades when Android 11 and 12 are available if I'm using the phone on Tracfone, or will Tracfone block OS upgrades? Does the Tracfone sim chip determine this, or how does it work?

5) In a similar vein, what features of the Moto G Stylus will be unavailable if I activate it on Tracfone? I would assume that the hotspot capability would be unavailable, but what other features would be nonfunctional?

Thanks for any information and help...
tashedelek

Re: Questions re replacing current phone with new unlocked p

Postby TracFone - Maria » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:56 am

Hi tashedelek. I'm TracFone - Maria. For us to address your questions, we need to check your account first. Please check your Forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your Forum inbox. You can use our self-service menu by simply texting the word HELP to 611611. Thank you.
TracFone - Maria

Return to Making the transition to TracFone prepaid
no-contract service. Want to keep your number from your old provider? Learn how, here.