Hacker fraud - My number was switched to another phone

Hacker fraud - My number was switched to another phone

Postby Texx » Sat May 29, 2021 9:26 pm

Last night around 11:00 PM EDT I received an email from Tracfone saying Welcome to Tracfone. Not long afterwards I received an email from Paypal saying that my password had been changed and then another email from Paypal saying that my account was logged in from another area. A hacker at work. I was able to quickly recover and secure my Paypal account, but in the process I discovered that my phone was no longer active. It had no service. Fortunately I was able to login to my Tracfone account normally. But under my devices it had my current phone as Inactive with the suffix "old" followed by my phone's IMEI. It had an identical phone listed as active. Someone from across the country was somehow able to switch my phone number to their phone and then use it to attempt to hack my Paypal, as all calls and texts would then be going to their phone rather than mine.

Under my now inactive phone I clicked Activate. I then selected to use my current phone number. After a couple hours my current phone was active again with my regular number. Today I received an email saying Welcome back to Tracfone. In my account under Devices it had the hacker's phone listed as the first inactive device along with his IMEI number. I wrote it down and removed his phone from my account. All seems well, but I don't want this to happen again.
Texx

Re: Hacker fraud - My number was switched to another phone

Postby TracFone - Maria » Mon May 31, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi Texx. I'm TracFone - Maria. We're sorry to hear what happened to your account. Please know that this is never the experience we want you to have. We will do our best to prevent this incident again. To further assist, kindly check your Forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your Forum inbox. You can use our self-service menu by simply texting the word HELP to 611611. Thank you.
TracFone - Maria

Return to Making the transition to TracFone prepaid
no-contract service. Want to keep your number from your old provider? Learn how, here.