Voicemail notification not working correctly

Re: Voicemail notification not working correctly

Postby roblvt@gmail.com » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Why is it that so many people are having this problem (myself included) but no one seems to be able to fix it? The problem is fixed by getting Verizon to switch the voicemail from VVM to BASIC. I need that too! I tried the chat and got no where with it. Same old stuff - reset your phone, etc. None of that fixes the issue. I called support and talked with three different people - same result! No one fixes this!

Please give me the phone number and whatever else I need to talk to Verizon and get this issue resolved!
roblvt@gmail.com

Postby roblvt@gmail.com » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Which company rep did you speak with to get your voicemail switched to BASIC? Tracfone or Verizon?

I need the same fix for my phone and my wife's phone.
roblvt@gmail.com

Postby TracFone - Larry » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:45 am

Hi roblvt@gmail.com. I'm TracFone Larry. We apologize for the trouble. We would like to discuss the details of the issue that you have experienced. Please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
TracFone - Larry

Postby roblvt@gmail.com » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:53 pm

So I called the support number and geve them the PIN code as was suggested. I ended up getting nowhere with this. I have searched MAY other support forums (Samsung, Verizon, TracFone, etc.) and all end up saying this (this is someone else's post):
====================================================================
I finally fixed it.

Before getting help I was able to pinpoint the issue a little since I noticed that in my Verizon voicemail settings, in the main menu "Personal Options", the first option "to turn message indicator on or off, press one", was missing. This option was present in all the phones that were working correctly. This usually indicates that Visual Voicemail has been activated on the account and basic voicemail has been shut off.

So I spoke with probably 2 dozen CSR reps, senior supervisors and others through escalation and not one was helpful even with me spelling it out for them. I also did my usual thing and posted on the tracfone.com forum. Anyway through that Tracfone.com forum post after a time I asked to speak with someone from Corporate or someone senior who could address it and I was given a number and a pin. So I called in and we tried the usual stuff, voicemail resets, *73 etc. Nothing worked. So then he spent about 10 minutes and had me try my voicemail again and I got the option back and of course now voicemail notifications are correct. I asked him what the issue was and he said I was absolutely correct, that Visual Voicemail has been activated on my account/sim in error. He was able to reset it back to basic voicemail. So now it works.
================================================
Looks like TracFone needs to own up to the problem and publish an article for tech support to use for everyone that has this issue.

By the way, I am still not fixed yet.
roblvt@gmail.com

Postby Aura » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:42 pm

To roblvt@gmail.com

So, you said it was fixed, then it's not fixed, what happen :?:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Aura

Postby Aura » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm

After posting the above question to roblvt@gmail.com on this forum -

I went to: Tracfone.com to buy the 1 year special offer for $100 and after I buy it -

I get a gibberish text message (the same kind we all have been getting) and it looks like I some how activated Visual Voicemail :(

So, to test - I call my tracfone LG G6 (US997 Black Unlocked) with Verizon and leave myself a voicemail message and yes I now have the same problem I had FIXED back in Sept 2018

So, when I bought Tracfone time, I activated Visual Voicemail and I again get that Gibberish text message every time I get a Voicemail.

Note: :!:
The Gibberish text message is from: 900080006202 and looks like this:
//VZWVVM:SYNC:ev=NM;id=61;c=4;t=v;s=(the number I called myself from);dt=30/12/2018 19:41-0500;l=10;dev_t=5

And this is the text I received after I bought time on tracfone.com:
This text is from: 900080006201 and looks like this:
//VZWVVM:STATUS:st=R;rc=0;srv=mi1lv.imsvm.com;ipt=143;u=(my cellphone #)@vzwazc.com;pw=(15 alpha numeric);lang=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;g_len=60;vs_len=10;pw_len=4-7;dev_t=5;vmg_url=https://vmg.vzw.com/(6 letters)/VMServices
Aura

Postby TracFone - Larry » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:32 am

Hi Aura. I'm TracFone Larry. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems. Please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
TracFone - Larry

Postby Aura » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:22 pm

I HAVE SOME ANSWERS!!

Ok, I just fixed (again) the Gibberish text we all get when a Voicemail is left. (Because we are sent a
Visual Voicemail to our cell phones that don't have VVM or the VVM App on our phones - so the result is a Gibberish text message)

It took 2.5 hours with about 4 seperate phone calls.

Here's what needs to be done to get this fixed: (imo)

1) I did what Tracfone Larry said: Go to your messages inbox and click on the link to start the chat, then
type in your problem. I guarantee they will not be able to solve this problem, why? - because they are not
tier 3 tech support (and ONLY Tier 3 have access to fixing this problem) The whole point of going on this Chat
is to have them give you a tech support phone number (1-866-806-1840) with a 6 digit ticket number.

2) After calling the above number (on your house phone) immediately tell them to direct you to tier 3 tech
support (sometimes they will claim that they are tier 3, but from experience I know that they are not, they
are only Tier 1).

3) Now that you're with tier 3 tech support, tell them you want to have Universal Basic Voicemail Provisioned
and they should know exactly what you're talking about.
You will get one more "Gibberish" text, BUT this is the "provisioning" code that is sent to your phone to
enable the Basic Voicemail we all want :)

4) Then have them call your cell phone and leave a voice message - as soon as they leave the message you will
get the correct "Notification" (Not text message) showing: "New voicemail - Dial *86"

Example on what it looks like: have the cellphone go black, double tap on the black screen, it should show the
correct "Notification" -OR- when your into the phone, swipe from the top and you'll see the "Notification"
also. Then all you would do is tap on it and it will go to your voicemail.

(The Tier 1 tech support think you want: your voicemail "reset") lol, don't ever say the words: "reset my
voicemail" this will do nothing but put you into a tornado of crap - this is because Tier 1 only have a basic
outline of problems and have No access to answers to this kind of problem)

I talked to this Tier 3 Tech Support person for a long time and asked a lot of questions so I can help others
that have this problem. Tier 1 tech support is in India but Tier 3 is in the Philippines. (just saying).

Also, my problem might be very unique to yours because I actually activated Visual Voicemail (somehow) by
going on Tracfone.com and Buying time (1yr) and minutes and so when it sent the info to my cell phone
(provisioning) to tell it that it now has more time and minutes, it re-activated VVM. This might only be (or
not be) because I have a LG G6 (US997 Black Unlocked) with Verizon SIM card, all bought at Best Buy, This
problem never happend to me while using a Tracfone phone from Tracfone.

Also, Tier 3 tech support told me that Visual Voicemail is the "Default" setting for Tracfone but my
particular cell phone does not have VVM or the VVM App so the result is the Gibberish text message after
receiving a voicemail message.

Hope this helps, (Mon. Dec 31, 2018) Happy New Year! - GOOD LUCK!!

Note for me, next time I buy tracfone time, disable WiFi and then enable Data and see if I don't start this cycle again.
Aura

Postby roblvt@gmail.com » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:14 pm

To Aura (and anyone else interested in this issue):
I did (previously) what you said - I got a tech support number and a PIN. I called support and the person on the line assured me they were Tier 3 support (they said they were the highest I could get). After much "research" I was told the issue was with my phone (Samsung). I have a Samsung Galaxy Sky (J3). I then called Samsung and got dropped. After repeatedly attempting to get the person back, I still kept getting dropped, so I opened a ticket with their chat. After a couple of days, I was given a link for the TracFone Voicemail app on Google Play. Problem is that the app won't install on my phone (version incompatibility, it says). Back to square one..

I installed YouMail as a temporary work-around. It works nicely except that it is a third party forwarding site.. Oh well. Still want TracFone to fix this. By the way, I do not have and never had, Visual Voicemail. Maybe it is on my Verizon mailbox but how was I supposed to know that? No app, etc. I suspect it is on because when I call my voicemail, I have no option to enable or disable notifications.
roblvt@gmail.com

Postby Aura » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:36 pm

lol, apparently it looks like I'm the most successful customer in solving this VVM problem (for myself).

1) Your Samsung Galaxy Sky, is probably a Tracfone phone, but mine is not a Tracfone phone, it's an unlocked LG G6 from Best Buy with a Verizon SIM card.

If what you say is true about the issue is with Samsung phones, then why would I have the same problem - and I have an LG G6 phone, so the "research" doesn't jive, lol

2) About the Tracfone Voicemail App or any other Visual Voicemail App available - they all require Data to be on at all times in order for the App to work and receive data correctly (so if what you installed didn't work, try to turn Off WiFi and then turn ON Data - do it in that order) - never have both on at the same time - then if you want only WiFi back On at a later time (like I have), turn Off Data, turn On WiFi. I also find that you never do these steps quickly, meaning: when switching data sources, take your time - turn something On then wait like 30 seconds, then turn something Off and visa versa.

3) Ya, we both don't have Visual Voicemail on our phones, but we are being sent the VVM data to a phone that can't "read" it because we don't have the App or will never have the capability to read it.

So what the Tier 3 tech told me is that the "Default" setting for any Tracfone is VVM enabled and that makes sense to me because when I bought time and minutes on the Tracfone website, the "confirmation" data sent to my phone (to update it) switched it back to "default" and so that's why VVM was enabled (again). Makes total sense to me and the tier 3 tech was a "real" tier 3, lol :lol:

4) Don't get confused with the service provider (Tracfone) and Verizon - who just sends data. Verizon has no control of any "service" Tracfone provides. That also makes perfect sense because for me only Tracfone fixed my problem twice.

5) I looked into maybe installing the Verizon Visual Voicemail App (on Google Play store), but there are so many bad reviews about it, that I won't even attempt to install it.

6) If I was in your shoes, I would then basically lie to the 1st tech person you get and just tell them that you were just talking to Tier 3 support and got disconnected and could they direct you back to tier 3 support.
Because remember, I fixed mine in Sept 2018, and did it again yesterday Dec 31, 2018

-> Just dedicate 3 hours to Tracfone Tech Support, my average wait time was 29 - 33 minutes per call attempt.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Tracfone Tier 3 Customer Service called and left a voicemail message to confirm provisioning of Universal Basic Voicemail on Sept 12, 2018 and then on Dec 31, 2018 (mp3 audio)

https://od.lk/s/OThfMTMyNTQ0MTVf/Tracfo ... 2-2018.mp3
https://od.lk/s/OThfMTMyNTQ0MTZf/Tracfo ... 1_2018.mp3
Attachments
Basic VoiceMail Notification01.jpg
This is what a correct Universal Basic Voicemail Notification should look like
Basic VoiceMail Notification01.jpg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
Visual_Voice_Mail--Gibberish.jpg
Visual Voice Mail - Gibberish - Text message sent to a non VVM phone
Visual_Voice_Mail--Gibberish.jpg (101.11 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
Aura

PreviousNext

Return to Post your questions and get answers about talking and texting, and setting up voicemail with your TracFone.