Unable to receive mobile data since Comcast/Verizon Outage

Unable to receive mobile data since Comcast/Verizon Outage

Postby tracfoneuser3838 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 pm

Last week, November 8, 2021, the Bay Area suffered a major outage of Comcast/Xfinity and the Verizon networks were also affected. I have a Pixel 4a with Tracfone and Verizon and I was unable to call or text during the outage and since call and text was restored I have been unable to utilize mobile data.

I have 825.95 MB data remaining, I have four bars for Tracfone LTE. Under tracfone LTE settings I have Mobile Data on, Roaming on, VoLTE on, Preferred network type Global is default but I've switched it to LTE/CDMA with no change, under Mobile Data Usage, I've only used 21.55 MB between Oct 28 and today with a flat line at 0 the entire last week. Chrome says no internet and above the browser it says No Internet Connection. I've restored the default networking settings on my phone. I have restarted several times to connect to local towers.

I believe this is a Verizon issue and Tracfone is responsible to contact them and ensure service.
tracfoneuser3838

Re: Unable to receive mobile data since Comcast/Verizon Outa

Postby Jude » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi tracfoneuser3838. My name is TracFone Jude. Please accept our deepest apology for this experience. We do not want our customers to encounter issues about the service we offer. To further assist you, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
Jude

Postby tracfoneuser3838 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:35 pm

I was not able to chat with Tracfone due to the fact their chat window requires popups be enabled in your browser. I have seven layers of ad blockers and settings that block pop ups, which are too cumbersome to disable, so I was left to solve the issue on my own.

It turns out this is a common problem that Tracfone should add to their FAQ and Tracfone Wireless Forums elite users add to their repertoire of quick answers.

Through Google Search I found an article called How to Fix Mobile Data Issues on Google Pixel: Troubleshooting Guide on "the cell guide dot com" which suggested checking Access point names in "Settings > More… > Cellular networks > Access point names". Surprisingly the single option was turned off on my phone. But selecting the TRACFONE.VZWENTP APN did not solve the issue!

Further searching using that APN name led me to the discovery that there are two APNs for Tracfone with Verizon, TRACFONE.VZWENTP and VZWINTERNET. While some people suggested editing the APN for TRACFONE.VZWENTP on my phone the options were grayed out. But I did have the option to make a new APN by clicking the + sign in the upper right corner.

The first try I used the settings for VZWINTERNET from a forum post from 03-03-2019 and when I saved the new APN it did not save. Frustrated I nearly gave up! But I tried again and this time just filled out the name "Verizon Internet" and APN "VZWINTERNET" both without quotes of course. When I clicked save it appeared listed below the TRACFONE.VZWENTP APN and I was able to choose either one. And when I went to edit it again I noticed miraculously all the settings had been automatically filled in and when I loaded a webpage it opened a page on the internet.

Tracfone LTE now showed Connected/LTE when before it just showed LTE. Let us hope this is a permanent solution.
tracfoneuser3838

Postby Jude » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:11 pm

Hi tracfoneuser3838. As per our interest to serve you better, we are continuously working on
improving and expanding our procedures, products and overall services. Should you need further assistance, please let us know. Thank you.
Jude

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.