Moto G7 "is not compatible and can't be activated"

Moto G7 "is not compatible and can't be activated"

Postby SusannaJ144 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:46 am

Hi, I had trouble with my battery and had to switch phones for a few days. I moved my SIM from my new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx, and put it in my old Moto G4 Play, until I could get the new phone fixed. That worked fine, I was able to make calls and send texts no matter if I had LTE enabled or not. Yesterday I fixed the G7, moved the SIM back, and I think TracFone got confused. When I go to the website I see

"Our partners are upgrading their network to provide you with the highest
quality service. Unfortunately, this phone is not compatible and can't
be activated.

But don't worry, because we're offering you $40 off any phone purchase
of $40.99 or more today! Just call us at 1-800-867-7183 to get your
offer. "

When I click on history for the device I see history relating to the G4 Play, not the G7 Optimo Maxx. I tried shutting down, pulling the SIM card, waiting 2 minutes and then re-inserting the SIM card and rebooting. When I turn on LTE, it appears to transmit data, but I am no longer able to make phone calls. The SIM provisioning for Voice over LTE keeps getting turned off. I can only make phone calls with the CDMA network, and I know that is going away. Both the G4 and the G7 can make LTE phone calls, so I think the TracFone or Verizon databases must be very confused about what device I have.
SusannaJ144

Re: Moto G7 "is not compatible and can't be activated"

Postby Jude » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:12 am

Hi SusannaJ144. My name is TracFone Jude. Please accept our deepest apology for this experience. We do not want our customers to encounter issues about the service we offer. To further assist you, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
Jude

Postby SusannaJ144 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Just to help others - I should make public the referral I got. Go to https://www.tracfone.com/contactus?showchat=true and ask for help there. I guess this forum doesn't offer help anymore. Sad. This URL doesn't render in Chrome, but I have Firefox, so I was able to learn a bit more about my issue. When you go there, it's like waiting on hold in a phone queue. I was number 30. I had to re-explain the history outlined above. I moved my SIM to the G4, and back to the G7, which is where it started. In that process, somehow the SIM and the G4 were permanently linked up in TracFone's database. They won't fix it for you. They won't believe the history, even though that ought to be in the same database. They won't give you a new SIM. I am going to attempt to fix this myself by purchasing a new SIM, and then doing an "ugrade" of the service that is stuck on the G4, to move it back to the G7, and have a somewhat modern phone again. Wish me luck. Why don't I just fall back on the G4? Good question. That was purchased unlocked, and it's now my secondary number, activated with Mobi. Some day, that might be primary. At least CDMA still works, for a little while longer.
SusannaJ144

Postby TracFone - Maria » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi SusannaJ144. This is TracFone Maria. We understand where you're coming from. I've sent you a private message. Please check your Forum inbox.
TracFone - Maria

Postby SusannaJ144 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks Maria, fortunately an extended call using my new Mobi service to talk about the TracFone isn't necessary. Sometime yesterday evening the problem went away by itself. The phone started using VoLTE, the SIM card retained that setting, and the warning on the TracFone website went away. I can make LTE phone calls. The G7 became linked to the SIM that was re-installed into it the previous afternoon in TracFone's database. Even better, I don't seem to have lost any service days. I suspect the Verizon network issued a correction to the TracFone database, because the SIM and the IMEI are both visible to the network, and Verizon has an interest in TracFone having accurate data about which phones are active. I need not have ordered another SIM, but I don't mind, since it might come in handy, and it only cost me $1. I was wrong earlier when I claimed that the G4 supports VoLTE. The warning was appropriately directed towards my old G4, just late to appear. I should make plans to upgrade the G4 when CDMA service ends. So if this happens to you, don't panic. Leave your phone on and connected to the celluar network, and wait a couple of days.
Cheers,
Susanna
SusannaJ144

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.