Help a senior citizen switch phones

Help a senior citizen switch phones

Postby EllRob5436 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm

I have recently received notice that my LGL21g Tracfone will soon no longer be functional and I need to upgrade to a VoLTE compatible phone. (I have read descriptions yet am not exactly sure what this means other than we have to leave 3G and go to 4G?) This is a back-up phone for us and is only used by my husband and only when he absolutely has to. He is a 76 year old smart (former college professor), capable man who really doesn’t like cell phones. I do want to replace this phone, but it needs to be with something very simple. I have been reading all about phones for seniors. I could just keep this phone as long as it has any functionality and then quit it and get one of those simple phones that AARP advertises. However, there are still many minutes and texts left on this current phone.

My challenge right now, and the reason I am asking for help, is that my eyes are starting to cross and my head is starting to ache when I try to compare information across various sources and deal with all the options to consider as well as looking all the various questions and answers about how to do this. (I am 72 and tech savvy enough to use my smartphone but not to figure all this out.) Even though this info may be available in various forms elsewhere, I just need someone to give me simple answers and instructions.

The questions/issues to consider are:

1) Which are good phones for seniors? (there are many lists but too much info to absorb given the other questions below - please don't just direct me to a list to explore - I need specific suggestions) – he needs something that is simple to operate and where anything he has to press or touch is large enough for his large fingers. The primary ways he would use the phone are, of course, making or receiving calls and also receiving and possibly responding to texts. It would probably be good if it could be easily carried in a pocket when he is outside (a flip-phone?). That is it.
2) Can I transfer number, minutes etc from this GSM phone to a CDMA phone if needed and if not, which phones are GSM?
3) And obviously which of the phones that fit the above and have good ratings.

Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help.
EllRob5436

Re: Help a senior citizen switch phones

Postby TracFone - Maria » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Hi EllRob5436. This is TracFone - Maria. For us to address your concerns, we need to speak with you directly. Please check your Forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your Forum inbox. You can use our self-service menu by simply texting the word HELP to 611611. Thank you.
TracFone - Maria

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.