SIM for bringing my own phone

SIM for bringing my own phone

Postby donwiss » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:50 pm

I'd like to upgrade my Samsung phone to a higher end model that Tracfone doesn't sell. I would buy a factory unlocked phone. Now I need a SIM card. I have a couple of Samsung phones here with SIM cards. The phones are still registered in Tracfone's database, but not activated. Can I take a SIM from one of them and put it in the new phone? Or do I have to buy a SIM from Tracfone that is registered to the IMEI of the new phone?
donwiss

Re: SIM for bringing my own phone

Postby Jude » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:21 am

Hi donwiss. My name is TracFone Jude. Please be advised that TracFone branded SIM card cannot be inserted to non-TracFone phones. You will need to purchase a Bring Your Own Phone(BYOP) SIM card in order to activate the phone. You will need to check if the phone is compatible first with TracFone Wireless. Compatible phones include GSM carrier unlocked (operating 850 and 1900 MHz bands), and some other CDMA technology. For a CDMA phone, we will need to get the serial number to check the eligibility. To check if your phones are compatible with our service, you can visit our website at https://get.tracfone.com/bring-your-own-phone or text the word BYOP to 611611. Should you need further assistance, please let us know. Thank you.
Jude

Postby donwiss » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:15 am

The link you gave me for bringing your own phone redirects to the Tracfone home page.

The phone I'm looking at is the Samsung S10e. I'm now on the Verizon network with an A10e. I know the S10e will work on Verizon.

None of the Samsung A phones have NFC. All of the Samsung S phones have NFC. You do not sell any of the S phones. This is the reason for an upgrade to a BYOP.

I will want to buy the SIM without buying a plan. I currently have more than a year with ample everything. I hope I can buy the SIM without having to buy a plan. Correct?
donwiss

Postby TracFone - Maria » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi donwiss. This is TracFone - Maria. Yes, you can do that. To further assist you, please check your Forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your Forum inbox. You can use our self-service menu by simply texting the word HELP to 611611. Thank you.
TracFone - Maria

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.