New inactive device

New inactive device

Postby Only1KW » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:49 pm

A few minutes ago I received an email from Tracfone with the subject "We miss you! Come back today" and telling me "phone number ending in 6664" has "STATUS: DISCONNECTED". I've not disconnected either my or my wife's phone, nor do I recognize a phone number ending in 6664, so I logged on to my Tracfone online account to investigate.

When I go there, I see two active devices as I expect, but there is also an inactive device with the nickname "Default_Old ***********6664" (I'm removing the actual numbers as I'm not sure what they are and hence if they shouldn't be posted on a message board). The number is not a phone number. I don't recall seeing this device here a few weeks ago when I added a new airtime card to my wife. Looking at the transaction history of this phone, I show activation on 1/14/2018, which sounds like around the time I first activated my wife's phone with Tracfone, followed by what looks to be a normal transaction history up until 3/29/2021. On 3/28/2021 I see a final "Redemption" transaction, which lines up with when I received a Tracfone airtime card from Target which I purchased for my wife's phone. On 3/29/2021, I see six "Upgrade" transactions (I have no other Upgrade transactions in my history) followed by deactivation on the same date.

When I look at my phone's transaction history, everything seems normal. When I look at my wife's transaction history, all it shows is activation on 3/29/2021, which is completely incorrect.

What is going on here? My wife's phone seems to be working correctly currently, which is good. But the behavior shown on the website seems very wrong.
Only1KW

Re: New inactive device

Postby Jude » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi Only1KW. My name is TracFone Jude. Please accept our deepest apology for this experience. We do not want our customers to encounter issues about the service we offer. To further assist you, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
Jude

Re: New inactive device

Postby Only1KW » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:45 pm

For anyone that hits this same issue and stumbles across this thread...

Jude told me via PM just to chat or call Tracfone directly, which is what I have done now. To boil an almost hour phone call down, basically AT&T is upgrading their network equipment which has somehow triggered Tracfone to start associating devices with both the IMEI number of the phone and the SIM card number. Previously only the SIM card number was tied to a device. My wife's device was converted over on 3/29. No one is sure exactly why it happened then exactly, but it seems to be a slow process where only a few devices are being updated at a time. Supposedly my device will be converted also, but there is no ETA on when that will happen.

The email I received was sent in error. 6664 is the ending numbers of my SIM card, not my phone number. The phone rep supposedly submitted a ticket to get that corrected.
Only1KW

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.