VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on Verizon

VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on Verizon

Postby RandySea » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:52 pm

I have been using Tracfone over Verizon for nearly five years. My phone is an iPhone SE. The top line of my screen says I am connected to "TFW LTE".

Early last year, Verizon announced that it was switching technology from CDMA to VoLTE (Voice over LTE data). Compatible iPhones include SE, 6s, and later models.

On Dec. 27, 2019, I got a text message from TFW directing me to turn on VoLTE, with the simple directions for iPhones. Turn on "Voice & Data" the iPhone Cellular Data settings. In my case, all that happened for the first few days after I get the text message from TFW and tried to turn on VoLTE was that I got a message to contact TFW support. All they could tell me was that my phone was incompatible with VoLTE. That is obviously wrong. After that I stopped even getting the message. The cellular data setting just stays at Voice.

I know other people in my area who have iPhone SE that is working with "Voice & Data" over Verizon. They have Verizon plans. This tells me the problem is with Tracfone, either in their system connection to Verizon or in their APN profile. The customer service person insisted this could not be the case. It had to be my phone. Her supervisor said the same.

I tried two other iPhone SE with Tracfone over Verizon. Each had a "Voice & Data" option in settings. Each would not turn on.
RandySea

Re: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on Verizon

Postby kg1414@outlook.com » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm

I hate to tell you this, but the exact same thing happened to me. I had a iPhone SE. I KNOW that model is capable of LTE calls. But Tracfone said it is not. I chatted with them online 3 separate times and got the same answer.

I ended up receiving an iPhone 11 for Christmas, so it became a non-issue. But one possible solution may be to see if you can transfer your Tracfone service to a GSM Tracfone SIM card. It would be using different towers (AT&T instead of Verizon) so make sure you would have coverage in your area. But you can get a package of SIM cards for Tracfone on Amazon or Family Dollar (I think) for $1.00. But maybe chat with Tracfone and make sure they will port your number and service to the new SIM card utilitizing GSM service. Then it is not an issue, at least for now, because I don't believe AT&T is discontinuing 3G service for a few years yet. So it may buy you some time.
kg1414@outlook.com

Re: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on Verizon

Postby TracFone - Maria » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi RandySea. I'm TracFone Maria. We understand where you're coming from. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to have an opportunity to review your account so we can address this issue as soon as possible. To do this, please check your Forum inbox for a private message. You may also text the keyword HELP to 611611. Thank you.
TracFone - Maria

Re: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on Verizon - SOLVED

Postby RandySea » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:35 pm

SOLVED !
If you have an iPhone SE that is not allowing you to turn on VoLTE, do not believe anyone at TFW who tells you the phone is not VoLTE compatible. Do not waste your time with any customer service rep who tries to tell you to reset anything on your phone, like network settings.

Just keep trying until you get to an upper level department and find someone who appears to understand that they need to disconnect and reconnect your phone on the system. This will likely be possible only if you get to the CBD (Cellular Billing Dept.). You need the billing department or equivalent because it is in your account that the "not VoLTE compatible" information is locked. This apparently happens because you once had a not-compatible phone or SIM. When you updated to an iPhone 6, SE, or later, the old info did not update. No low level customer service person can understand or fix this. It isn't in their script and they don't have the tools to do it.

Note: If your SIM card is pre-mid 2018, then you may want to replace with one from a new Tracfone "bring your own smartphone kit". I got mine for $1 on Amazon. Then when you activate the new SIM (any CS rep can do that) and VoLTE won't turn on, work you way up.
RandySea

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.