ZTE353VL ("Cymbal T LTE") randomly opens apps when flip open

ZTE353VL ("Cymbal T LTE") randomly opens apps when flip open

Postby wb0gaz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:39 pm

I've been using a Tracfone ZTE Cymbal T LTE (Z353VL) for about 2 months. Fairly often (maybe 25% of the time), when I open (flip open) the phone, the phone starts some random app (the phone is a hybrid - a flip phone with Android 5.1 touch screen display).

Most frequently the app that is unexpectedly open is "Messages", but sometimes other app is unexpectedly open, and a couple of times it's seen fit to open the dialer app, and once it dialed a phone number with the dialer app, without any intent on my part.

I believe the phone normally should be on the home screen (round circle button selects) when I open (flip open) the phone.

What is happening, and can this behavior be avoided or fixed?

Thank you
wb0gaz

Re: ZTE353VL ("Cymbal T LTE") randomly opens apps when flip

Postby TracFone - Larry » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 am

Hi wb0gaz. My name is TracFone Larry. I read your post and I am sorry you’re having some problems. For further assistance, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. Thank you.
TracFone - Larry

Postby wb0gaz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 am

Hello,

I believe I have isolated the cause of this problem - it appears to be based on a mechanical problem in the design of the phone itself, however, I am certain that it can be solved with a very simple software update.

I moved all app icons away from the middle home screen (so when I flip open the phone, I normally see only a blank screen with the small home button at the bottom.

Then, I tested by closing all open apps (the square button), then closing and opening the phone cover, and discovered under some situations, I have one or more app opening spontaneously. I then worked out that this is due to pressure on the phone (i.e., if while the phone is closed you press the two halves of the phone together with your fingers, you can cause apps to open.) I am fairly sure this is due to flex of the keypad (lower section) causing some of the buttons to press against the touch screen, causing the buttons to activate unexpectedly.

This problem could be fixed in the phone's software and a patch released, probably pretty easily, by disabling sensitivity of the physical buttons while the phone senses that it is closed (obviously the phone firmware is aware when the phone is closed).

While Tracfone or ZTE works on fixing this problem, I would urge attention to my other complaint about this phone, which is found in the March 1 2018 posting about touchpal, which reduces usability of the physical keyboard for some interactions on web browsers and other apps (the ONLY reason I selected tracfone was availability of this phone, which has a physical keyboard):

viewtopic.php?f=6176&t=569316

titled:

Z353VL (ZTE Cymbal T) - android+flip keypad "go" function?

Having used tracfone ZTE Z353VL since about 2 months, I believe the service and phone have good promise, however, the phone clearly suffers from lack of software testing, but from this effort, I believe these minor problems can be fixed in a software revision, which would increase user satisfaction on my part, and probably improve acceptability of this phone by tracfone users at large.

Thank you for your attention

(and could the moderators of this forum please forward my message to appropriate tracfone department, as I do not know if those people normally access this forum.)
wb0gaz

Postby Sam » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi wb0gaz. My name is TracFone Sam and I want to apologize for the experience you’ve had with the keyboard of your phone. We need to take this issue offline so we can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Please click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. Thank you.
TracFone - Sam
Sam

Postby wb0gaz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:11 am

Some further testing - I placed a spacer at the bottom of the keypad to increase the spacing between the keypad and the phone display when the phone is "closed". For any spacing where the display remains on (about 1/4" or more) the problem (of unexpected apps opening) does not happen, regardless of any pressure I apply to the phone covers. When the spacing is smaller (say 1/8") the problem happens as if the phone were fully closed. I believe the difference is when the display remains on (>= 1/4") vs. the display is turned off (<= 1/8").

Thank you for the (2) referrals to private help, however, these links simply take me to tracfone web site, and I do not wish to spend time explaining this issue again (customer care via messaging is very time consuming and is focused on individual customer problem, which is not the case as this problem is evidently not unique to my individual handset.)

I will be happy to take this up with your escalation or product department if someone there wishes to contact directly.
wb0gaz

Postby Sam » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi wb0gaz. My name is TracFone Sam and I perfectly understand your frustration. It’s not our usual standard and I understand how frustrating this delay must be. We can escalate your issue but we need to gather necessary information. Please click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. Thank you.
TracFone - Sam
Sam

Postby wb0gaz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:25 am

This is the result when I visited forum following link provided by Sam:

(24 April 2018 8:25 AM MDT USA)

"Rommel: This is a Chat Department only and we do not handle the forum from TracFone. If you have a question regarding that, you must ask the question on the forum."

How can this issue be escalated?
wb0gaz

Postby wb0gaz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 am

I proceeded to provide requested basic information, given that the care person cannot access this forum (then why, Sam, do you ask me to contact them?.)

I have provided a detailed test of a problem that can readily be fixed in phone software, however, you provide no way for that information to reach your product manager. As you see below, the care person only offers to replace the phone with a different model, which does not help you fix the problem with the phone you are selling.

###

Rommel: Okay. If you want a different phone model, you will need to pay for it.

Rommel: We do not have a Product Manager Department or something similar to that.

###
wb0gaz

Postby TracFone - Larry » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:45 am

Hi wb0gaz. My name is TracFone Larry. I read your post and I am sorry you’re having some problems. For further assistance, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. Thank you.
TracFone - Larry

Postby wb0gaz » Wed May 09, 2018 6:32 pm

This issue was first reported on April 10. As of May 10, the issue remains unsolved, with no direct, relevant contact from TracFone.
wb0gaz

Next

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.