Using Tracfone in Europe

Using Tracfone in Europe

Postby rgw2000 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 pm

It seems pretty clear from other posts that Tracfone only provides service in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and Alaska so I can't use my Tracfone's minutes, text or data while traveling in Europe.
However, I've seen some posts indicating that my Tracfone could be used for texting if I install a messaging app like WhatsApp and use that app on my phone while connected to WiFi in Europe.
Will this work this approach work in Germany, Austria and Switzerland using my Tracfone as is - no SIM card changes are needed? I have a Smartphone (ZTE Citrine LTE). Does the phone type (GSM vs CDMA) affect my ability to use the phone in Europe with WiFi?
rgw2000

Re: Using Tracfone in Europe

Postby TracFone - Katie » Thu May 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi rgw2000,
My name is TracFone Katie. It will depend if there any restrictions on the Wi-Fi network that you will be using or on the country where you will be using the device. You may try download the app over Wi-Fi to see if it will work. If you need further assistance, I will contact you directly with a private message. Please check your Forum inbox. It is located at the top left corner of your screen. It is next to User Control Panel. Thank you.
TracFone - Katie

Re: Using Tracfone in Europe

Postby gundlion » Sun May 21, 2017 9:47 pm

The method that works for me is to open a Google Voice account and link your TracFone number to it. That way, any texts can be read when connected by WiFi and can be replied to the same way. Plus, there is no new phone number for your contacts to remember.
gundlion

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.