LG410G

Chicago CTA - messages do not work

Postby chicagotrac » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 pm

In 2010 I had an LG410G TracFone and I used it to send messages to find out when the bus was coming. In Chicago you can enter a code that appears at each bus stop and it will text you back to tell you when the next 2 buses are coming. In 2010 this worked fine.

I did not use the phone for a few years but I got it reactivated a few months ago. Now every time I try to use the text messaging function, I get a message "this service is not available for your service plan". Did something change between 2010 and 2015 where I can no longer use this service?

It is the same exact phone and I am sending the same exact text messages I used to send, but it is saying I can no longer use this service. This is a big disappointment because the main reason I have the Tracfone is to send messages about the bus and find out when the next one is coming.

Example:
Message sent in 2010 was: Ctabus8388
I did get a reply telling me when the next 2 buses were coming to the bus stop with the code 8388.

If I do this today using the same phone, I get an error "this service is not available with your service plan". I treid using the codes for other stops but nothing is working and I get the same error message.

Please answer this question and do not tell me to call the Chicago CTA, because my friends with other providers besides TracFone can get these messages. If TracFone no longer offers this service, I guess I have to accept that but it seems unusual. You would think that TracFone would add services, not cut them, so please let me know if something changed that I can no longer use this phone the way I used to in the past. I would really like to use my phone to text the bus stop code and get the message telling me when the next buses are coming so any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you.
chicagotrac

Re: LG410G

Postby chicagotrac » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:54 am

This is how this story ended.

TracFone told me they no longer support this type of messaging. However, I took a chance and bought a new Tracfone and guess what - these messages worked perfectly. I am upset that I had to buy a new phone just to get this to work, not to mention that when I tried to transfer my number to the new phone it did not work and I have been with no cell phone for 4 days now.
chicagotrac

Postby TracFone - Katie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:00 am

Hi chicagotrac,
My name is TracFone Katie. Sorry that you’re having a problem. We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thank you.
TracFone - Katie

Postby chicagotrac » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:47 pm

chicagotrac wrote:This is how this story ended.

TracFone told me they no longer support this type of messaging. However, I took a chance and bought a new Tracfone and guess what - these messages worked perfectly. I am upset that I had to buy a new phone just to get this to work, not to mention that when I tried to transfer my number to the new phone it did not work and I have been with no cell phone for 4 days now.

This story continues. I bought a new phone just to allow the Chicago CTA bus time arrival messages to work. When I activated the new phone with the number it came with, it did work fine, so I thought it was the phone. However, when I called Tracfone to transfer my existing phone number to this new phone, they sent me a new SIM card. I was able to transfer my existing number to the new phone, but once again the Chicago CTA bus time arrival text messages did not work. I was told that was because the SIM card that came with the new phone was AT&T, but the new SIM card was from T-Mobile and T-Mobile does not work with "government messages". Is it true that I need to ask for an AT&T SIM card to get the text messages for bus arrival to work?

Please see the link below so you know what kind of texts I need to work. It is very important that I can receive these bus arrival messages from Chicago CTA on my Tracfone as that is the main reason I bought the phone in the first place.

http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_ct ... rtext.aspx

Tracfone, if you can answer this question I would greatly appreciate it.
chicagotrac

Postby TracFone - Ashley » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:20 am

Hi chicagotrac. We’re sorry that you’re having a problem. I've sent you a private message. Please check your forum inbox.
TracFone - Ashley

Postby pjl3 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:10 pm

says I need to use features!
pjl3

Postby TracFone - Mark » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi pjl3. My name is TracFone Mark. Please check your Forum inbox for a private message. Thanks.
TracFone - Mark

Postby chicagotrac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Hello, I received a private message from TracFone Ashley, but there was no message (only an invitation to Chat). Can you please post a response to my question from September 28th regarding using my TracFone to see Chicago bus arrival times?

Thank you,
chicagotrac

Postby TracFone - Ashley » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:41 am

Hi chicagotrac. We do not encourage you to post your personal and account information in public, for security reasons. We post answers for general inquiries and questions that do not require us to check and investigate on your account.
TracFone - Ashley

Postby MISHMOUSE » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:31 pm

I have a LG410G, starting in October every time I am in Brainerd/Baxter MN my phone goes into Emergency Use Only mode. When I get out of this area the phone returns to normal. The first time I noticed this was in the September/October timeframe, prior to September I had no issues in Brainerd/Baxter.
MISHMOUSE

PreviousNext

Return to LG