Text Message from 24719 for Phone Update

Text Message from 24719 for Phone Update

Postby tdwell » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 am

This morning, I received the following text message - '24719 Service Msg: Your phone requires a software update. You will receive a notification on your phone. Turn your WIFI on to receive this update. Please click 'Install' to update. It's safe and secure.'

Is this from Samsung and/or is it legitimate?
tdwell

Re: Text Message from 24719 for Phone Update

Postby RAIST5150 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Got the same text this morning on my Sky (SM-S320VL). Came from the same number too, at about 10AM, East Coast time.

No update found when I check from the phone. Can't find an update from Samsung yet either. Downloaded the Smart Switch program to the laptop, and it shows the phone is up to date when I click the model number (will have an Update option if it finds one). References it as PJ3(TFN).

Currently running v6.0.1, which came on it originally. Patch level is almost a year old now (10/2016). Don't think there was ever a higher release than that in the Marshmallow family? Never expected we would get to move to Nougat... would be nice if we could though.

If you haven't used Smart Switch before, might want to check it out. Even if it doesn't detect an update is available, the app is still a nice thing to have. Was easy to make a quick backup of the phone. Can set a folder for where to store the backups by clicking "MORE" in the upper right corner and selecting "Preferences". Didn't take nearly as long as I was expecting to backup the phone to a USB3 hard drive. You can get it from the Samsung site in the Mobile / Apps sections. Here is a direct link to the download page if you want to check it out:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... art-switch
RAIST5150

Postby ssz.files2@gmail.com » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 pm

I received the same message, then the update package. I did not run "UPDATE" button. The next day, update automatically ran, and my phone system seemed to be updated. I'm worried if this update package is legitimate.
ssz.files2@gmail.com

Postby ssz.files2@gmail.com » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:11 pm

I have the same question.
ssz.files2@gmail.com

Postby RAIST5150 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 am

Started getting these again. This time it downloaded something. And it keeps nagging me to install it. Went to settings to check for updates and it prompts me to install the download there too.

Guess it may be legit... just would like to wait until I get home to check with the Samsung app through the laptop.

Unless someone from Tracfone could chime in to verify there is an actual update due?
RAIST5150

Postby LindaCHU » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:19 am

RAIST5150 wrote:Started getting these again. This time it downloaded something. And it keeps nagging me to install it. Went to settings to check for updates and it prompts me to install the download there too.

Guess it may be legit... just would like to wait until I get home to check with the Samsung app through the laptop.

Unless someone from Tracfone could chime in to verify there is an actual update due?

It is not from Tracfone, it is from Samsung.
Do you have a Galaxy Sky? It is legit. :ugeek:
LindaCHU

Postby RAIST5150 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Booted the laptop when I got home tonight and heard back from Samsung support... confirmed this is legit and safe to install. Was cautioned to make sure wifi and internet is "strong and stable", and that it is plugged in for power during the process. Guess this is more like a firmware flash kind of thing? Well... here goes nothing....
RAIST5150

Postby georgebenz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 am

In my case it was legit. Checked with Samsung support on-line chat before "installing". It was an Android update which took almost 1/2 hour to complete.

Received this message and subsequent automatic download via WIFI on April 8, 2018. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro / Android version 6.0.1. This phone is 6 months old but I owned a barely "smart" LG Tracfone previously. This is the first time receiving an update this way. I had not turned off and rebooted the phone for 12 days previously, so that may explain why the process went down this way.
georgebenz

Return to Samsung